Lockheed modified less than a dozen U-2s with aerial refueling capability. By doing so the Dragon Lady, as it is now fondly called, doubled its operational range from about 4,000 miles to 8,000 miles, and could stay aloft for over 14 hours. That is a long time to spend stuffed into a small cockpit wearing a pressure suit, but hey, at least the view is decent! I cannot imagine flying formation with a KC-135 was very easy in the glider-like U-2 but as the video shows the incredible Lockheed/USAF/CIA pilot talent pool made it happen. One U-2 was apparently both mid-air refueling capable and carrier capable, this one-off machine was known as the U-2H.
Search this Site:
Categories & Hot Topics
- AMERICA'S NEXT BOMBER: A TRAGICALLY FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY
- CHINA'S ANTI-SHIP BALLISTIC MISSILE & THE LOST RQ-170 SENTINEL DRONE
- IN-DEPTH PHOTO ANALYSIS OF THE SUPPOSED RQ-170 SENTINEL DRONE IN IRANIAN HANDS
- MY PROGRAM FOR REPLACING THE F-35: THE ALTERNATIVES ARE OUTSTANDING!
- RQ-170 SENTINEL ORIGINS PART II: THE GRANDSON OF "TACIT BLUE"
- RQ-170 SENTINEL ORIGINS: DARKSTAR HAS GROWN UP
- SKYNET COMING TO A CITY NEAR YOU?: WIDE AREA AIRBORNE SURVEILLANCE WILL BE A GAME CHANGER OVER THE WAR ZONE & THE HOME FRONT
- The Chengdu J-20: CHINA'S BLACK DRAGON RISES WHILE AMERICA'S RAPTOR FALLS
- THOUGHTS ON THE F-22 RAPTOR & F-15 GOLDEN EAGLE AIR DOMINANCE TEAM
- TYLER'S 10 THOUGHTS ON THE FUTURE OF DRONE WARFARE
Ty’s Photography Showcase Site
Recent Flickr Uploads