It is widely assumed that this unique “joined wing” unmanned air system, or a follow-on scaled up version of it, will attempt to fulfill a similar mission set as the American Q-4 Global Hawk series of airframes and the craft has only been seen in what appears to be mockup form, until now. I would imagine that this core airframe design will be scaled larger over time, similar to the latest Global Hawk/Trident variations, so what you see here may be analogous to the developmental RQ-4As that are now serving NASA for test duties. Key roles of a HALE (High-Altitude-Long-Endurance) UAV like this will be for battlefield surveillance, and network relaying. In fact, a daisy chain of these aircraft could provide line of sight connectivity back to the mainland without satellite communications. Yet the most pressing need for China’s building military deterrence and “anti-access” capability will for this aricraft to extend far off China’s shores to gain targeting quality location data on enemy flotillas and sending that information back to the mainland to be distributed to China’s DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile squadrons. More can be read here about China’s unique need for high-quality long range maritime targeting capabilities: http://aviationintel.com/chinas-anti-ship-ballistic-missile-the-lost-rq-170-sentinel/
Search this Site:
Categories & Hot Topics
- AMERICA'S NEXT BOMBER: A TRAGICALLY FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY
- CHINA'S ANTI-SHIP BALLISTIC MISSILE & THE LOST RQ-170 SENTINEL DRONE
- IN-DEPTH PHOTO ANALYSIS OF THE SUPPOSED RQ-170 SENTINEL DRONE IN IRANIAN HANDS
- MY PROGRAM FOR REPLACING THE F-35: THE ALTERNATIVES ARE OUTSTANDING!
- RQ-170 SENTINEL ORIGINS PART II: THE GRANDSON OF "TACIT BLUE"
- RQ-170 SENTINEL ORIGINS: DARKSTAR HAS GROWN UP
- SKYNET COMING TO A CITY NEAR YOU?: WIDE AREA AIRBORNE SURVEILLANCE WILL BE A GAME CHANGER OVER THE WAR ZONE & THE HOME FRONT
- The Chengdu J-20: CHINA'S BLACK DRAGON RISES WHILE AMERICA'S RAPTOR FALLS
- THOUGHTS ON THE F-22 RAPTOR & F-15 GOLDEN EAGLE AIR DOMINANCE TEAM
- TYLER'S 10 THOUGHTS ON THE FUTURE OF DRONE WARFARE
Ty’s Photography Showcase Site
Recent Flickr Uploads