I am a BIG supporter of a dedicated CAS/FAC-A/COIN platform that can loiter for long periods of time and can deliver precision ordinance. Right now using F-16s and F-15Es for this task is like taking a Ferrari on a cross-country road trip, it’s just too much performance at to great an operating cost to sustain. Although the Embraer Tuccano is the better aircraft for this job, the avionics suite and general multipurpose nature of the project is really a step in the right direction for the USAF. In the AT-6 you have an aircraft that needs a lot of horse power to stay in the air and a high wing loading, I wish the DoD would step back from its “common platform” obsession and weigh the decreases in mission suitability against any superficial cost savings the commonality concept truly creates.
Search this Site:
Categories & Hot Topics
- AMERICA'S NEXT BOMBER: A TRAGICALLY FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY
- CHINA'S ANTI-SHIP BALLISTIC MISSILE & THE LOST RQ-170 SENTINEL DRONE
- IN-DEPTH PHOTO ANALYSIS OF THE SUPPOSED RQ-170 SENTINEL DRONE IN IRANIAN HANDS
- MY PROGRAM FOR REPLACING THE F-35: THE ALTERNATIVES ARE OUTSTANDING!
- RQ-170 SENTINEL ORIGINS PART II: THE GRANDSON OF "TACIT BLUE"
- RQ-170 SENTINEL ORIGINS: DARKSTAR HAS GROWN UP
- SKYNET COMING TO A CITY NEAR YOU?: WIDE AREA AIRBORNE SURVEILLANCE WILL BE A GAME CHANGER OVER THE WAR ZONE & THE HOME FRONT
- The Chengdu J-20: CHINA'S BLACK DRAGON RISES WHILE AMERICA'S RAPTOR FALLS
- THOUGHTS ON THE F-22 RAPTOR & F-15 GOLDEN EAGLE AIR DOMINANCE TEAM
- TYLER'S 10 THOUGHTS ON THE FUTURE OF DRONE WARFARE
Ty’s Photography Showcase Site
Recent Flickr UploadsEvening Rush